FAMILY OF FIVE

FAMILY OF FIVE

Monday, March 15, 2010

How do you put it into words?



Ive been thinking a lot lately about our last trip to Ethiopia and about how deep of an impact it has made in me and my families life. Most people don't understand how I can be so passionate about Ethiopia all of the time. To me Ethiopia and my experience there is on my mind 24/7 I am constantly planning the next trip and trying to figure out more effective ways of making an impact next time we go back. To many of my friends and family Ethiopia was just a week long trip, like a beach trip. It was one week, yeah we saw poverty but to them in their minds its was as significant as seeing a few homeless men sleeping on a bench. And no matter how much I try to explain what I saw they still don't grasp it. They don't understand why I start crying when I see a few pieces of good fruit being thrown out or when I read a blog about one of the families I traved with and hear how well their new child is doing. They don't get it!! And honestly it makes me mad! How do I put into words what I've seen and experienced? How do I make them understand That it wasn't just a few homeless people but it was hundreds we came in contact with everyday. How do I help them see and understand that the children begging for food get beat when they go too close to the shops. I saw children get hit with rocks and whips because they came too close to the Americans. How do I get them to understand that not just one or two people go hungry but crowds of them swarm when you have left overs to give from your lunch. I have been forever impacted, my heart breaks everyday at the memories of what Ive seen and I am on a mission to change it. i don't know how, but God will take care of that. I pray that someone will find the words if not me to explain to my friends and family this isn't a matter to late lightly. That its not just about getting a little brother, its about saving a little boys life and impacting thousands more. My sister had someone ask if she really wanted a BLACK brother and i am amazed and ashamed at how many of our close friends and family have scolded us for adopting. They don't understand that if we didn't adopt my brother has a very high chance of dying from stupid diseases that are preventable and if he is lucky enough not to die from something as stupid as dire ah or polio then he still has a high chance of starving, or dieing from AIDS. Its not about his color or my about parents not wanting to be empty Nester's its because our eyes have been open, and once you truly SEE God wont let you forget until you act. This is just a bunch of ranting I have had on my chest lately and it needed to be said. Don't take it wrong I still love my friends and family and i know its not their fault they don't understand it just hurts because I have seen and I do understand. God willing they will truly have their eyes opened also, who knows maybe were not truly the ones saving my brother maybe he is coming to be a light to those who don't understand.
Tella

1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HONESTY OF THIS POST TELLA. I MUST CONFESS THAT I HAVE BECOME SELF CENTERED AGAIN AND NEED TO ASK FOR FORGIVENESS. THANK YOU JESUS FOR YOUR GRACE AND MERCY. THANK YOU FOR NOT LEAVING ME WHERE I WAS, BUT YOU SAVED ME AND PLACED ME IN A SPACIOUS PLACE. HELP ME TO ALWAYS BE LOOKING TO YOU!

    ReplyDelete