FAMILY OF FIVE

FAMILY OF FIVE

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Inspiration


So I just read my sisters blog and it inspired my to tell my side of the story. My story goes back a little further about 5 years ago. My journey to Africa started as a dream to take in all of Africa's orphans. My pastors daughter and I were hanging out on evening dreaming about the future and Gods plans for our lives. That day I made a promise to my little friend that we would one day go to Africa and take in orphans, not really thinking our crazy dream would ever be more than a crazy dream. But that little the dream sparked in my heart and I had no clue in just a few short years our dream would become not just a spark but a raging fire for God that would change our lives forever.
Thought the next few years I became a little more involved in what was going on in Africa by spreading awareness anyway I could. I spoke at youth retreats about the AIDS epidemic and when I had a research paper do in school if at all possible my subject was Africa. My dream kept popping up everywhere I went. So the day my pastors family announce that they were adopting from none other that Ethiopia I was shocked. I didn't want to get my hopes up about joining them so I tried not to say anything but after a few times of them approaching me about going with them I decided if they were serious I would go. After meeting with my family and our pastors family about what this trip would do not only in the present but also how it would forever change my life the decision was made that I would go. Just a few weeks later my mom announced she would be joining us and a few months later my sister also decided to go. We began the preparation and soon the day was there, we were traveling. It was so surreal, I had dreamed about this for so long. Just as I promised my little friend years before we were traveling to Africa together to take in orphans, God had heard our small prayers.
Ethiopia changed my life, my heart broke when I saw what it was really like. Nothing could have prepared me for what I saw, hunger, o so much hunger. Children actually happy to eat rotten fruit. Crowds of people everywhere, sleeping in the streets and on the sidewalks. How did this happen?! How can this country be in such despaired! I knew that week in Ethiopia that my life would never be the same, I would never be normal again. God was calling me to do something, not just donating money but something bigger. Money doesn't give crying babies hugs, it doesn't calm a frightened child when they have a nightmare, it doesn't give encouragement to so many who need hope, it doesn't tell of the amazing God that loves us so much no matter what. No my calling isn't giving money it is giving of myself. To be a servant for God. To not just show love by giving of wealth but by showing love by giving my life. This life is not my own, its Gods and I will live for him. Don't get my wrong giving of wealth is sometimes the calling and yes, wealth is very much needed but for me at this point in my life its not my calling. That is what God taught me in Ethiopia.
After coming home I felt like my heart was ripped out. I was scared that I would never go back, I felt like there was so much more I could do, but how? I never thought of my parents adopting, i just never thought it would happen. But God had planted that seed in my sister and little did I know she felt the same heart throbbing pain I had, she knew Gods plan wasn't over either. So when I found out my sister had been taking to my parents and praying about adoption I bubbled over with joy. I knew this was the plan God had for us.
So today I am patiently awaiting the word for when we travel to get my brother. The journey for me has been a long one, and it is amazing looking back at how God has prepared my family for this amazing addition to our family. God has taken a small dream of two kids and made it into a life long journey. I cant wait to see what else God has planned, no matter what we will obediently follow him.

*Tella*

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tella, I just read your story, it is really great. I wish you and your family great luck!
    I miss you! Jorien (from Holland!)

    ReplyDelete